Small Text Large Text Print
Get Your Benefits

Get Your Benefits

Are you a working age adult who has been impacted by COVID-19? CLICK HERE for links to assist you.

Better Income Can Lead to Better Health:

You might think that because you receive social assistance or are a low-income earner there is no need to file your income tax return.  But if you don’t file a return, you might be missing out on extra income.  You may be able to receive some of the tax credits and benefits listed in the Get Your Benefits booklet.  Taxes should be filed by the end of April each year however you can file your taxes at any time throughout the year.

If you do not file your taxes you CANNOT get government benefits such as:

  • GST Credit
  • Working Income Tax Benefit
  • Canada Child Benefit
  • Canada Caregiver Credit
  • Personal Tax Credit
  • Education Property Tax Credit
  • Carbon Tax  Credit
  • Manitoba Seniors School Tax Rebate
  • Primary Caregiver Tax Credit

To learn more visit

Free Tax Clinics
Free Tax Clinics
Free tax clinics are hosted by community groups through the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program.  You may be able to have your taxes done for free, if you have a modest income and a simple tax situation.  

To see if your situation fits, check with Canada Revenue Agency (click here) or your local community group. 


To learn more, call the CRA general enquiries line at 1-800-959-8281. During the tax season (February – April) call the CVITP program at 204-989-1912.

Thank you to all the volunteers who support Volunteer Income Tax programs!

“Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart.”
~Elizabeth Andrew

Information adapted from and Canada Revenue Agency

Get Your Benefits April2021 - Updates and Information for those living with low income:

Community Financial Counselling Services. Their Virtual Tax Centre is up and running! Please feel free to share their contact information and the options for those Manitobans living with low income to file their tax returns. Their current options are:

  1. Virtual Tax Preparation over the phone (call 204-989-1913 or 204-813-1569)
  2. Drop off services:
    1. via encrypted file transfer through our website
    2. Via drop off of completed forms sent through the mail or dropped in our contactless drop off slot outside our office at 500-294 Portage Ave.


Community Financial Counselling Services also offers FREE financial counselling, visit

The Community Financial Helpline
has been launched to answer questions from community members living on low incomes. Visit
The Helpline can be reached by calling or texting 431-813-4357 (431-813-HELP) or toll free 1-855-955-4234 (1-855-955-4CFH).The Helpline can assist with questions about tax filing, obtaining identification, federal COVID-19 recovery benefits, other income supports such as EIA, benefits and credits such as the Canada Child Benefit, and debt management and credit counselling. Information provided by the Community Financial Helpline is free. The Helpline also has a Facebook page:

Prosper Canada’s Financial Relief Navigator tool is updated regularly and is a valuable resource for groups working with those affected by Covid-19.
Learn about the help you can get to raise your income or lower your expenses in these challenging times. 

Call 211 from anywhere in Manitoba or look up programs & services based on your postal code at


Footer Line
Footer Divide French Logo Footer Divide Canada Logo Footer Divide Aboriginal Logo Footer Divide Manitoba Logo Footer Divide
Footer Line
TWITTER Facebook