Small Text Large Text Print
Occupational Therapy

Occupational therapy provides the skills for the job of living to help people lead productive and satisfying lives. Interlake-Eastern RHA occupational therapists are members of inter-disciplinary teams and work closely with physicians, physiotherapists, nurses and home care.

To an occupational therapist, occupation is everything people do to occupy themselves, including looking after themselves (self-care), enjoying life (leisure), and contributing to the social and economic fabric of their communities (work/productivity).

Occupational therapy works to break down the barriers that impede individuals in their everyday activities. Occupational therapists examine not only the physical effects of an injury or disease, but also address the psycho-social, community and environmental factors that influence function.

An occupational therapist will begin by trying to find out why you cannot do and what you would like to or need to do. 
Depending on your situation, an occupational therapist may check what you can and cannot do physically (this includes your strength, coordination, balance, or other physical abilities), what you can and cannot do mentally (your memory, organization skills, coping strategies, or other mental abilities), what materials you use to participate in the occupation (for example, work tools, furniture, cooking utensils, clothes, or other materials), the social and emotional support available to you in your home, school, work and community and the physical setup of your house, school, classroom, work place, community, or other environment.


Occupational therapy services can be accessed by people admitted to a health center, those residing in a personal care home or from people in the community. If you're admitted to a health center or reside in a personal care home and would like to see an occupational therapist, your physician can request a consult.  When you are new to a personal care home, an occupational therapist will automatically see you for an initial consult. 

If you are in the community and would like to see an occupational therapist, you must be referred by another health care professional, such as your physician or nurse practitioner. If you have been referred by a physician outside the Interlake-Eastern RHA please ensure your contact information is on the referral then deliver it to the occupational therapy department at your closest hospital
or fax it to us. If you have been referred by an Interlake-Eastern RHA physician simply wait for us to call you for an appointment. Home Care clients are referred by the Home Care Case Coordinator.    

     Therapy Services Referral Form

Footer Line
Footer Divide French Logo Footer Divide Canada Logo Footer Divide Aboriginal Logo Footer Divide Manitoba Logo Footer Divide
Footer Line
TWITTER Facebook