Ashern’s Lakeshore Hospital Expansion
About the project
Construction on Ashern’s Lakeshore General Hospital expansion started January 2023. The new inpatient unit expansion will add 12 inpatient beds (for a total of 26) to be completed in Spring 2025. As part of the second phase, eight emergency department treatment spots will be added with a targeted project completion date in 2026.
The project is being built in phases. The first phase includes a building addition to provide a new medicine inpatient unit. Once the existing inpatient unit moves into the new building, the unit will be converted to additional emergency department treatment spaces.
New Inpatient Beds and Enhanced Services:
- Single storey building addition to provide 26 inpatient beds total, which includes 12 new inpatient beds (18,000 sq. ft.)
- All patient rooms are single bed rooms. This increases patient privacy and improves infection prevention and control. Windows in each room optimize views for every patient.
- Includes enhanced palliative care room with attached family room
- Reverse pressure isolation room that can accommodate bariatric patients
- Dedicated spiritual space
- Dedicated room for rehab assessment
- Central care stations provide visible points of contact for staff, patients and families
- New tub/bathing room
Emergency Department Renovations:
- Expansion of emergency department to provide eight new treatment spaces (5,400 sq. ft.)
- Negative pressure isolation room that can also accommodate bariatric patients
- Dedicated interview/consult room
Targeted Project Completion:
- Spring 2026